We are currently looking for an experienced Real Estate Law Clerk/Legal Assistant to join our legal department. As the ideal candidate for this role, you have experience in conveyancing matters, conducting and reviewing title searches, dealing with title insurers, handling commercial and residential dispositions, subdivision and site plan work and large-scale financing transactions as well as performing administrative duties for the Senior Legal Counsel - Real Estate, from onset to reporting. Throughout your days you will have the opportunity to liaise with different Toronto Community Housing divisions, Solicitors, Surveyors, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, CMHC, the Land Registry Office, Municipalities and title insurance companies. Read further to learn more!
What you’ll do
- Conduct and review title searches for Senior Legal Counsel as well as other divisions of Toronto Community Housing.
- Prepare clearance letters and search summaries.
- Deal with and manage the title insurance process and procurement of policies on large-scale financings.
- Prepare conveyancing documents such as Deeds, Easements, Postponements, Section 71 Notices, Restrictions, Discharges, Mortgages, Releases and attend to registration where appropriate.
- Draft and amend documents for various transactions, including dispositions, financings, leasing, municipal applications and agreements, subdivision formations and land severances.
- Draft and manage residential transactions from start to finish.
- Assist Senior Legal Counsel with consents required under the Housing Services Act.
- Provide administrative support to the Senior Legal Counsel as required on a variety of matters, including development, financing and leasing projects.
- Conduct Equifax and Cyberbahn searches.
- Assist with closing transactions of Co-operative Housing programs.
What you’ll need
- Law clerk designation from the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario is preferred or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- 3 - 5+ years’ legal administration experience, preferably handling complex real estate transactions, subdivisions and financings.
- Solid title searching ability as well as drafting and mathematical skills.
- Proficiency with Teraview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel.
- Ability to liaise with lawyers, clients, municipal staff and agents is preferred.
- Experience in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role and only qualified candidates will be contacted for next steps. If you move forward, the process may include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check