A unique opportunity currently exists within the Ministry of the Attorney General for you to apply your knowledge and bilingual skills as you investigate and report on all matters relating to the jurisdiction of the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• conduct investigations into the financial and legal affairs of clients, including locating and securing assets, making reports and recommendations for management
• conduct guardianship investigations of persons who are allegedly mentally incapable and at risk of serious personal or financial harm, including interviewing individuals, locating and gathering information/evidence on capacity and risk of harm
• participate in case conferences, appearing in court and assisting, where necessary, in the apprehension of new personal care clients
• travel extensively throughout Ontario, including to remote locations, in order to carry out investigations
How do I qualify?
• you are proficient in oral and written French at the Superior Level
• you demonstrate knowledge of mental health problems, cognitive impairment, indicators of abuse or neglect and techniques to identify risk factors for individuals regarding health nutrition and safety to enable recognition and course of appropriate action through the investigation
• you have knowledge of investigative and appraisal techniques to conduct investigations and evaluate, transfer and secure assets as required
• you have the ability to interpret and apply relevant legislation (e.g. Substitute Decisions Act, Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act) and related statutes, to ensure compliance with statutory requirements
• you have proven knowledge and understanding of issues commonly faced by vulnerable persons relating to their property and personal care
Analytical and Mediation Skills
• you have proven analytical skills to develop an investigative plan, determine and assess necessary information required and make recommendations based on information gathered through investigation
• you have tact, diplomacy and mediation skills to manage contentious issues and resolve or defuse disputes
Salary Range: $64,434 - $92,846 per year
- 1 Bilingual Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 595 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Service Sector Check, CPIC, Intelligence Check, Credit Check
- This ad is also available in French.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 106600, by Friday, May 5, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.