This role is located in Hamilton, Ontario. Company is a successful, owner-managed, public accounting firm with a diverse and growing client base needs to hire an Admin Coordinator who can ideally grow to eventually become a Jr. Bookkeeper. The CPA Owner is respected for his vast accounting, income tax and business knowledge, a can-do attitude and client-service focus. The Admin Coordinator will report directly to the Owner while assisting and learning from the Sr. Bookkeeper. This position requires a candidate with a can-do attitude and an innate desire to be of service to others.
The ideal Admin Coordinator:
- Is considered by colleagues and supervisors as having a positive and confident professional attitude, strong interpersonal and communication skills and being a collaborative team player
- Is well organized, neat, detail-oriented, able to multi-task and self-manage. Getting things right, attention to detail, ensuring quality and standards and reducing error to a minimum are important factors for this position
- Remains rational when dealing with others, works within organizational requirements, is systematic and factual when dealing with colleagues and handles any conflict with logic until a solution becomes achievable
- Searches out errors, rectifies omissions, perfects systems and procedures to ultimately raise the quality and standards of all tasks undertaken
- Will develop and/or comply with the systems, procedures, rules, objectives and timelines set by the Owner and take a disciplined approach when undertaking tasks
- Provides satisfactory solutions in situations involving the new and unexpected
- Works persistently when gathering information and seeking solutions to problems
- Listens, absorbs and digests information and at the same time builds upon stable relationships
- Draws conclusions by probing into things and contemplates the consequences of any action that is likely to be taken by proving the reliability of the information available
- Regularly demonstrates a high level of both productivity and accuracy
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity and imagination in problem solving within the level of the scope of work
- Enjoys the challenges of working in the fast-paced and time sensitive environment of a growing public accounting practice
- Is self-driven, a quick learner, conscientious and has a positive, outstanding, attitude. This position is the front-line for the firm’s interactions with clients, guests and suppliers
About the Role:
- Take over general client interactions by greeting guests, suppliers and clients, in person and over the telephone, and interact with fellow work colleagues with impeccable communication, courtesy and respect
- Record time spent daily and prepare personal time sheets in Caseware software solution (2 x per month)
- Maintain the boardroom schedule via Microsoft Outlook Calendar and prepare the boardroom for client and supplier meetings
- Prepare new client files/folders. Type/scan/e-mail documents as required. File and maintain client files in cabinets
- Send/receive courier packages and prepare documentation and correspondence with courier(s)
Within 30 days:
- Using Microsoft Word, Simply Accounting, Quickbooks, Caseware and other software solutions, start to assist the Owner, the Sr. Accountant and the Sr. Bookkeeper with putting together year-end client packages and financial statements (letters/memos/invoices).
Prepare various/miscellaneous invoices as directed; monthly Bookkeeping and Payroll client invoices; engagement letters as directed by the Owner; miscellaneous administrative letters, bulletins, etc.
- Process client credit card/debit payments using the Moneris machine
- Maintain photocopier/fax machine and ensure that the machine is always full of paper. Schedule service/repairs when required
- Open and date-stamp mail, daily. Prepare mailing labels for client bulletins, etc., attend to the processes required for mailing out correspondence and packages for the firm and, on a quarterly basis, ensure that the firm’s mailing list is updated
Within 60 days:
- Start the process of preparing the Owner’s written articles for the firm’s website and for mail and/or e-mail distribution to clients
- Assist the Owner, as directed, with calling clients, printing documents, proofreading documents and computer related issues
- After approximately 60 days, assist the Sr. Bookkeeper with data entry work as needed and, when time permits, learn basic/junior level bookkeeping techniques to enable future career growth
- Maintain phone system and schedule service/repairs when required. Learn to troubleshoot common issues and ensure the firm’s phone directory is updated with each change in staffing
- Maintain alarm system and schedule service/repairs when required. Learn to troubleshoot common issues
- Maintain necessary office supplies and order office supplies via Staples online or through other suppliers when required.
- Notify the Owner when supplies such as essential paper products, coffee, soap etc. are required
- Liaise with cleaners for monthly cleaning and between those visits, help maintain cleanliness of kitchen and front entrance
- Maintain office opening and closing procedures
After approximately 90 days:
- Assist the Bookkeeper with Payroll entries for clients and invest more time learning and preparing to move towards even more Jr. Bookkeeper responsibilities
- Develop the upcoming year-end list and distribute to staff for updating. Edit results and distribute updated list
- Organize and execute staff outings, as directed and organize staff lunch delivery during tax/busy season, when requested
- Other and ad-hoc requests and special projects as required within a growing, Owner-managed, public accounting firm
With time, training and success in the Admin Coordinator position, for the right incumbent, further career growth towards becoming a Jr. Bookkeeper, etc. will be considered.
- Successfully completed a College Diploma in Business, or equivalent
- Hands-on experience that proves them effective and efficient in clerical and data entry work; proficient in Microsoft Word and skilled in utilizing software solutions in general
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- A proven track record of being a fast-learner with a genuine interest in growing professionally
- An ongoing willingness to perform a wide variety of work tasks to help the office and team run as efficiently and professionally as possible
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Work experience in a public accounting firm
- An easy, daily commute to and from the firm’s Hamilton office
- The salary range for this Admin Coordinator position is $30,000 - $45,000, payment or reimbursement of training and development costs plus a discretionary bonus.
If you are or know of an experienced, hands-on admin professional who is effective at being supportive of other team members’ work and willing to learn and grow to eventually become a Jr. Bookkeeper for the firm, we want to hear from you.