Date: June 30, 2017
Position Title: Senior Web and Mobile Developer - Drupal
(One Year Contract)
Division: Process and Technology
Department: Web Solutions
Reports To: Manager, Web and Mobile Delivery
Salary Range: $64,828.40 - $74,692.80
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
The Senior Web and Mobile Developer’s role is to build TVO’s Web properties and keep them running smoothly. This includes building and implementing new, interactive Web pages and sites and optimizing for multiple devices. In this role, you will integrate sites with streaming video and back-end applications, migrate legacy applications to the Web and provide day-to-day technical support and administration to the organization’s Web portfolio. You will also beexposed to a variety of Web development languages and technologies .
- Program, test, optimize, and support TVO websites to the prescribed design and architecture
- Work with clients (producers, content creators, and creative design staff from business areas) to develop functionality
- Anticipate client needs before they arise and present solutions to management
- Work with I.T. Infrastructure Specialists on infrastructure requirements and production support issues
- Identify system deficiencies, de-bug and implement solutions
- Help to establish and adhere to coding and development standards and practices including:
- Participation in iteration planning meetings, providing estimates and solution alternatives
- Implement automated behavioural, functional and integration tests
- Risk based QA processes
- Peer code reviews and pair programming as appropriate
- Version and release management
- System patching
- Research and participation in applicable open source communities
- Deficiency and bug tracking/management
- Appropriate system documentation
- Manages CMS updates and implementation, site analytics implementation, search engine optimization, security patches, cache implementation andCMS custom module building
- Ensure security of all Web sites and related applications
- Perform periodic Web site audits
- Stay abreast of trends in software and web development
- Conduct research into current and emerging technologies and issues in support of Web and Mobile development efforts
- Coach and mentor team developers
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar discipline, or equivalent experience
- 4 or more years of comprehensive experience with structuring, developing, and implementing interactive Web sites
- 3+ years web development using Drupal CMS
- Thorough understanding of internet systems architectures and protocols
- Strong analytical skills necessary to architect solutions, integrating a CMS with other systems
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Web technologies, languages, and tools:
- PHP and MySQL mandatory
- HTML, HTML5, CSS, XML, XSL
- Experience with LESS/SASS will be an asset
- Codeception, PHPUnit, SimpleTest, Test::Unit, JUnit, or similarComprehensive understanding & experience with Drupal 7/8 CMS and Drush
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Experience working with caching technologies such as Varnish, ESI, Entity Cache
- RESTful architecture
- Knowledge of Git version control
- Experience designing, building and consuming web services and APIs
- Thorough understanding of application development methodologies including Agile
- Expertise with object and component methodology and technology
- Experience with database development, physical and logical database design, and data conversion
- Experience in gathering and analyzing technical requirements
- Knowledge of coding standards and practices, including web accessibility standards
- Experience developing web sites for multiple platforms and screen dimensions
- Experience and understanding of user experience issues, Internet design principles, W3C standards, accessibility standards, and Windows and MacOS interface standards
- Familiar with LAMP stack; Experience with other web development frameworks would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, with exposure to mentoring or coaching staff
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.