Assistant General Manager - Transit
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for all transportation activities, including the dispatching of vehicles on schedule, the oversight of the vehicles and operators while in service, and processing and verifying operations payroll. First Transit Canada hires individuals who make safety and customer service their top priorities. If you have the drive, confidence, and determination to succeed, we are looking for you!
NOTE: The following position is for proposed new business within First Transit.
First Transit is proud to offer:
- Tremendous career advancement opportunities due to a strong presence across North America.
- A comprehensive benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan.
- A great work environment.
Assistant General Manager Responsibilities:
- Supervises all daily operations in the Paratransit service operations, assuring quality transit services for all passengers in accordance with contract scope specifications and ADA. Maintains an operation characterized as safe, dependable, on-time, and customer service oriented. Coordinates operations, overseeing safety and training, assignment supervisors and dispatchers, field supervisors, drivers, and clerical support. Manages daily operations recordkeeping and operating activities
- Ensures compliance of all First Transit and Agency/customer procedures and policies
- Directs all contractual services to include administrative functions, labor relations (ATU union CBA, grievances, conflict resolution), human resources, training, risk management, information technology, parts purchasing, and inventory control, facility lease and maintenance, utilities, revenue and non-revenue fleet and equipment
- Ensures services are provided within budget and action plans developed and implemented to improve operational efficiencies
- Maintains company and contractual assets (vehicles, facilities, inventories, tools, and equipment).
- Ensures compliance of local, state, and federal laws and regulation (ADA, EPA, OSHA, DOT, FTA, DOL, and EEOC).
- Experience and familiarity with National Transit Database (NTD) and FTA triennial reviews and audits, and third Party contracting/subcontracts
Assistant General Manager Requirements:
- Minimum 2-3 years Custom Transit management/leadership experience
- Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Must have evidence of building solid relationships with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and continuously motivate highly effective teams.
- Successful track record in managing budgets and/or P&L responsibility.
- Ability to interface with using agencies, directors, elected officials, operators, and all levels of hourly and salaried employees, including senior management.
- Must be a self-starter able to obtain successful results without supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of service area
- Complete knowledge of First Transit and industry operating policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all personnel and Agency/Customer staff
- Experience with run cutting and dispatching software and best practices in medium to large fixed route operation
- Excellent communication skills: clear speech and writing.
- Customer service and employee orientation meetings, including motivational skills
- Good active listener and team player
- Must be available for on-call duty and after hours emergencies
- Safety and training experience in TSI or Smith System desired.
- Experience/training in Customer Service, Passenger Assistance Training, Sensitivity Training, Risk Management/Accident Investigation
First Transit is a leading provider of transportation contract and management services, moving more than 350 million passengers annually. First Transit employs more than 19,000 dedicated transit professionals through fixed route, paratransit and shuttle services at more than 300 locations in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Panama. With a dedication to safety and outstanding customer service, First Transit sets itself apart from other providers in the industry.
First Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.