Agriculture Development Advisor
Do you want to help enhance the economic prosperity of the agri-food sector in Northern Ontario?
If so, please consider this unique opportunity with the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Working independently to support a portfolio of clients, you will:
• develop and implement regional agricultural development strategies, action plans and initiatives
• provide technical guidance, advice, training and support to local agricultural businesses and farmers
• network and build trusting relationships with farmers, agricultural organizations, Indigenous communities and other levels of government
• contribute to the development and implementation of government policies related to agricultural development in Northern Ontario
Location: New Liskeard
How do I qualify?
• You have the ability to travel to remote locations not accessible via public transportation.
• You are proficient in oral and written French at the advanced level as well as proficient in English.
Knowledge of agricultural economic development:
• You have experience providing advisory services focused on the establishment and/or growth of agricultural businesses.
• You have knowledge of the agricultural, aquaculture and food processing industries and their economic significance and social importance in rural communities.
• You have economic analysis skills to assess and interpret financial, business and economic data.
• You have knowledge of agricultural economic development programs and services provided by both the private and public sector.
Knowledge of agricultural best practices and industry issues:
• You have knowledge of the best practices, related issues, trends and developments in 2 or more of the following areas: agrology, business management, agricultural technologies, agricultural production management, livestock, primary production of crops, agri-food processing and/or agri-business development.
Community and client relationship management skills:
• You have client account management skills to develop collaborative relationships with clients, stakeholders and community partners.
• You have collaboration skills to proactively share information and work cooperatively with other subject matter experts in the industry.
Project management skills:
• You have project leadership skills to plan, implement and track project outcomes against performance measures.
• You have strategic planning skills to plan and coordinate project activities in consultation with clients and stakeholders.
• You have the ability to independently manage your workload and various project activities.
Training and group facilitation skills:
• You have knowledge of adult education and training techniques and tools.
• You have knowledge of needs assessment and program evaluation methods and tools.
• You have consultation and group facilitation skills to deliver training and technical information to agricultural clients and rural community groups.
• You have oral communication and presentation skills in order to effectively deliver information and promote ministry programs.
• You have written communication and computer skills to prepare a variety of correspondence (e.g. technical reports and articles, briefing notes, educational materials).
Salary Range: $1,396.11 - $1,781.96 per week
- 1 Bilingual Permanent, 280 Armstrong St, P O BOX 68, New Liskeard, North Region
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 121837, by Tuesday, May 15, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.